frog
frog

Donation Banner

Mushrooms Are Best Avoided for Pet Safety

Hunting for mushrooms can be a great outdoor activity, but it can also be deadly for dogs. 

Although, the majority of mushrooms are non-toxic, the WVMA encourages all pet owners to keep pets away from wild mushrooms to eliminate unintentional poisoning. Depending on the type and species of mushroom consumed, several organ systems can be affected. These include visual disturbances, vomiting and diarrhea, tremors, seizures, liver failure and many others.

"Because it is often hard to get a positive identification of the exact species of mushroom ingested, it is important to consider all mushrooms toxic," says WVMA member Dr. Stacey Adams of the Milwaukee Emergency Center for Animals in Milwaukee.

Dr. Adams recommends leaving pets at home when hunting for mushrooms to avoid accidental ingestion. If mushrooms are found in areas your animals frequent, it is best to remove them right away. 

If you see your dog eat a mushroom or have reason to believe they have, contact your WVMA member veterinarian immediately. To find a WVMA member veterinarian near you, go to www.wvma.org.

 

 

Professional Insurance Programs

WVMA-WEB-BUTTON-NEW

Pet Microchip Lookup Tool

PetMicrochipLogo

Upcoming Events

No events

2014 Convention

Pet Hall of Fame

Find a Vet

Site Login

NOTE: The login required here is the GENERAL WEBSITE login that will allow you access to the PROFILE LOGIN section. We have set up dual login pages for your security. DO NOT try and use your PROFILE login here. After three failed login attempts, your IP address may be blocked, preventing you from accing the website. If this happens, please visit www.whatismyip.com and email WVMA your IP so that we may verify you and unblock it. The security of your information is of the utmost concern for us. We apologize for any inconvenience that our security measures may have caused you.